Work Hard, Play Harder: how to select the right artwork for a workspace
Often times it is difficult to select an artwork for a workspace: should it motivate you and your colleagues or should it be personal? Actually, the answer is both. As this dilemma is quite common, we decided to develop several posts giving you some hints on how to select the right artwork for your office.
1. Follow your instincts. When decorating your workspace go with what you love. Don’t think about opinions of others or what is trendy today. Give yourself a freedom to create the space which you will enjoy spending time in.
2. Find a focal point. Designing a new office space it is important to identify what you want to stand out. It will help you to harmonize all details later. Artwork can be a focus in the room as well: it can get all attention due to its color, size or even location.
3. Size it right! Recently the rules on size of artworks in a room decor have changed a lot. For more traditional work environments try to balance the size of the image with the height of the ceiling (big works fit better in spacious interiors) or add several smaller pieces into a nice curated wall-collection. For contemporary interiors also feel free to leave images standing on the floor next to furniture pieces. In one word- play and experiment!
4. Lines. Selecting the art which will harmonize with the rest of the interior, think about lines – does the artwork fit horizontal line of your black table? Does it fit the geometry of your room, walls? Does it repeat lines of your pillows or curtains?
5. Colors. This is certainly not difficult but color fit is almost the most critical aspect when it comes to office decor. Consider current color palette in your working space and don’t forget that colors influence our mood. Red and yellow tones are typically helpful to boost energy, activate conversations and raise your productivity level. They are ideal for meetings rooms. Blue and green tones are opposite- they make us feel comfortable and relaxed and fit better coffee areas and rest zones.
6. Patterns. At a glance, you may think about patterns as lines. However, patterns are tricky. Synchronized patterns will create a feeling of space and #harmony, whereas multiple unrelated patterns add an impression of clutter. Before purchasing a new artwork for your workspace, look around and pay attention to smallest details: textile in your #office, plants, pieces of furniture etc.
7. Mixed-media. Consider mixed-media works. Paintings add colors to interiors, sculptures bring depth and mix media works has best from both worlds. Surprise yourself with an extra texture and creativity you can get with a new mixed media artworks which are a great solution to keep your workspace unique and functional.
8. Material. Let’s inspect your office for a moment and think about major theme there. What is it? Can it direct you towards the best art choice? Perhaps, a tropical image would be the best one to reflect a number of plants you have in the office or an image of Earth will be the best fit for an interior full of wood.
9. Innovate. Play with styles. Sometimes traditional interior designs (especially it is common in offices) require a contemporary artwork to make an impressive statement or spark a new conversation. Experiment, see if a modern painting can change an atmosphere and bring more excitement and fun into your working area.
10. Own your style. In the past people used to select what is recognized as “good”. Nowadays, it is common to see various unique styles and combinations in interior design. Create your own style. Don’t be afraid to be provocative or strange. At the end, who knows what the next trend will be, maybe your intuition is suggesting it now.
Always receive our newest post first by signing up to our Newsletter at the bottom of the page.